Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Felted Messenger Bag



















I absolutely cannot believe that I finished this and it turned out so well!!! I am so super excited (in case you can't tell). Honestly, it really was not very difficult and it did not take very long to do. I actually thought that the most frustrating parts of it were waiting for my yarn from knitpicks and then waiting for the bag to dry after felting it. It took about 2-3 days for it to completely dry, and I had to change the towels it was on every few hours because they kept soaking through. The pattern for it is on knitty.com and it's called "satchel."
It's worked mostly in the round on size 13 circular needles. One small part of it calls for size 13 dpns, but I didn't have them and I was able to use straight needles in combination with the circular and that worked just fine. Because the needles are so big and the yarn is double stranded, it knits up very quickly, and any mistakes that you might make are hidden by the felting. I highly recommend that you all try it. This bag is for Kiran, but I like it so much, I think I'm going to make one for myself in different colors.

2 Comments:

Blogger Always Freed said...

I can't believe how awesome this bag turned out. I really am going to have to make one. Remind me again which kind of yarn did you use, cause I think I'm going to order from Knitpicks, since it's so cheap. I am so impressed!!!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Maire said...

I used knit picks wool of the andes (http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/itemid_5420103/yarn_display.aspx), colors "fog" and "mist." I recommend buying 14 skeins of "fog" (or whichever color you use as your main color) and 4 skeins of "mist" (or any contrasting color). I only ordered 12 of my main color, and I barely had enough left at the end to make a test swatch for felting. I say buy 14 cause I don't like the number 13... I know, it's silly :-) But also, since you're knitting with a double strand, it's just easier to have an even number.
Let me know if/when you're ordering. I might be interested in getting some more wool for my next bag :-)

1:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home