Thursday, June 08, 2006

The First of Many Firsts

This weekend we moved into our new home in Charlottesville. O.K., technically some of my furniture moved in, and Noah moved in, while I’m still hanging out in good ole Maryland until July. But there’s no need to get technical and all.

Both Noah and I have grown up with the belief that the kitchen is the heart of the home, the beating pulse that keeps mouths fed, smiles on faces, and brings families together. So there was no doubt which room was the first to be put together. Noah and I have inherited many of my father’s cookware and tons of fabulous finds from yard sales, and even young couples like ourselves are usually not as fortunate to have such nice things in a kitchen. We know we’re lucky. After the cabinets were filled and the refrigerator was stocked, we set out to prepare the very first meal in our home together. And of course, that meal would definitely include some grilling.

While grilling some burgers and sipping on wine in our beautifully lush backyard, our next door neighbor, Mr. D, came over and fulfilled every daydream I’ve ever had of the South! She had cut up some watermelon, and came over to the fence to offer some to us, you know the real sweet kind with the black seeds. I tell you, the Southern hospitality couldn’t have been more sincere, the quitessence of the South. I fell in love, I fell in love all over again with our decision to move to Charlottesville, I fell in love with our home and new neighborhood, and most of all, I fell in love with the new chapter in my life with Noah.

Me, Noah, J and Vade are eating the first meal in our home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home