Thursday, June 15, 2006

One Finished Project, 18 million more to go

I finally finished My So Called Scarf. I love the pattern, but I am very unhappy with the yarn. At first, I absolutely loved it, and it was knitting beautifully. Then I started the second skein, in the same exact color, and it looks completely different than the first skein. Now, you may have to look real close to see the problem, but the right side is much more vibrant than the right side. It actually looks like two different colors.

I know it's variegated and all, but seriously, this is a little bit extreme. And for those of you who have used this kind of yarn, Manos del Uruguay, (I'm going to go out on a limb and say that anyone reading this has not used this kind of yarn because I know all two of you who read this), then you are going to say to me that the manufacturer of this yarn suggests alternating every two rows with a different skeins so this problem does not occur. Well, let me tell you something Mr. Manufacturer, I think it's silly to tell a knitter to alternate every two rows just so this kind of thing doesn't happen. I don't have time for that. That's too confusing. Yeah, I know you can just carry the non-active skein up the sides, but then things get tangled, and there's no sufficient zoning out while watching Law and Order if I have to worry about that. So, I've learned my lesson. I won't be using this yarn for a while, unless it's a project that only requires one skein.

Considering you can see the difference between the two by looking at a photo on the computer, imagine how startling the difference is when you see the scarf in real life? However, I've never been one of those knitters to frog the whole damn thing just cause the end result wasn't exactly what I wanted. It gives the scarf some character, and it certainly looks home-made. So, I'm keeping it this way. Now, just need to make a decision whether or not I'm going to gift it to someone...hmmmm...

1 Comments:

Blogger Maire said...

Boo.. I definitely won't be using that yarn for anything that requires more than 1 skein. It might be good for an i-pod sock though, since those dont require much length. You can usually make a few from the average sized skein.
I don't think you should frog the scarf though. If nothing else, it's a definite conversation starter.

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home